Traveling to a new country as a tourist can be exciting, intimidating, inspiring, and eye-opening. Traveling in order to work and integrate oneself into a new country is all of these things and much, much more. If you are considering taking the leap and searching for work in a foreign country, here are 6 great reasons to stay inspired and follow through with your dream:
- Boost Your Resume. Boasting job experience in a second country will help you stand out from the competition in a big way: it shows adaptability, ambition, multiculturalism, and a number of other important skills. As a recent survey showed, roughly two thirds of employers consider international experience to be an important recruiting factor.
- Make New Friends. Working and living in a new country is a great way to meet people from all around the world, building unique contacts, relationships, and friendships that will last a lifetime. Moreover, these connections will be unlike any that you would make at home, thus broadening your social circles, and maybe even broadening your outlook on the world.
- Learn a Second (Third, Fourth, Etc.) language. Working in new country oftentimes serves as a great opportunity to learn a new language fluently, to improve a language that you already speak, or to learn the formal ins-and-outs of how your language varies from region to region.
- Travel Opportunities Abound. Of course, the mere act of heading to a new country in order to work is an exciting way to travel — but those who work in foreign countries, especially in industries such as travel and hospitality — may find additional opportunities for personal and professional travel, as well.
- Find a Job. Perhaps you’ve been having trouble finding work in your home country and you’re looking for a chance to get a fresh start somewhere new. Maybe you feel you have hit the proverbial glass ceiling and you’re hoping to continue advancing in your field. Or maybe you’re just looking for a fresh start professionally or personally. Whatever the case may be, it can be safely said that the worldwide job market offers a wider variety of opportunities than any local job market alone can ever compete with.
- Break with the Routine. Oftentimes those who head abroad have reasons that are somewhat intangible. Maybe you feel burned out in your field and are hoping to breathe new life into your career. Maybe you have recently sold your home, left a relationship, or made some other major change in your life and are looking to get away from it all for a little while. Or maybe you’re just tired of the same old grind. Spending time living abroad (and truly working/integrating rather than simply traveling as a tourist) is an amazing way to get a new perspective on things.
Interested in finding work in the Gulf? We Hoteliers is your number one resource for job listings and valuable information about the hospitality industry in countries such as the UAE, Kuwait, Qatar, Oman, and more.